This memorandum is to advise you of the decisions made by the Wisconsin Elections Commission related to the 2020 post-election voting equipment audits at its September 16, 2020 meeting. These audits are required by law to be conducted after every General Election to ensure the accuracy of tabulation equipment approved for use in Wisconsin. Please see the information below for the Commission’s final decisions on how the 2020 post-election voting equipment audit will be conducted.
- The sample size of reporting units selected for auditing will be at least 5% of reporting units statewide. This equates to a minimum of 184 total reporting units. No more than 4 reporting units will be chosen per municipality.
- At least one audit will be conducted in each of Wisconsin’s 72 counties. Reporting units will be selected to include a sample from each piece of voting equipment approved for use that records and tabulates votes.
- Municipalities selected as part of the audit will be chosen at random by Commission staff on November 4, 2020. Selected municipalities will be informed no later than November 5, 2020.
- The deadline for completing all audits and submitting materials and documentation to WEC will be November 25, 2020. A municipality may submit a waiver requesting an extension for cause. Any such waiver must be submitted to WEC by November 10, 2020.
- Municipalities subject to voting equipment audit are eligible for a reimbursement of $50 in audit set up costs and will then be reimbursed at a rate of $.35 per ballot audited.
Audit forms and materials will be provided by WEC staff to selected municipalities after the selection list has been finalized. Training on procedures for conducting the audit and properly completing required documentation will be provided by WEC staff along with the selection notification. A training webinar that outlines audit procedures will be offered for municipalities required to conduct the audit.
If you have any questions related to the 2020 post-election voting equipment audit, please contact us at 608-261-2028 or @email.