Absentee Voting

How to Apply for an Absentee Ballot

If you are not already registered, you will need to register to vote before an absentee ballot can be sent to you.  

Request by Mail

Download the Application For Absentee Ballot (EL-121).  Complete the form and mail it to your municipal clerk's office (for the correct address please refer to the Listing of Local Municipal Clerks).  The application must be received by the clerk no later than 5:00 p.m. on the Thursday before the election in order for an absentee ballot to be mailed to you.

Request by E-Mail, Online or by Fax

A voter may request that a ballot be sent to them by sending an e-mail or fax to their municipal clerk. Registered voters can also request an absentee ballot at https://myvote.wi.gov by clicking "Vote Absentee."(See Directory of Local Municipal Clerks.) This request must be made no later than 5:00 p.m. on the Thursday before the election in order for an absentee ballot to be mailed to you.

In-Person at your Municipal Clerk's Office

In-person absentee voting hours and date vary by municipality. Municipalities may start in-person absentee voting two weeks before the election.  In-person absentee voting then ends at 5 p.m. or the close of business (whichever is later) on the Sunday before the election.  Please check with your municipal clerk for regular office hours.

If you apply for an absentee ballot in your municipal clerk's office, you must vote immediately, seal your ballot in the proper envelope, and return it to a member of the clerk's staff.  No ballots may be taken from the clerk's office.

Instructions for Completing Absentee Ballot

Click here for uniform instructions for absentee voters.

Deadline for Returning Ballot

The completed ballot must be mailed to your municipal clerk's office and received no later than 8 p.m. on Election Day.

Who is my Municipal Clerk?

The municipal clerk is the clerk for the City, Village or Town in Wisconsin where you reside.  If you do not know who your municipal clerk is, or where the clerk's office is located, please use the MyVote Wisconsin website:myvote.wi.gov to locate your clerk's contact information.  You can also find your clerk by searching a list of all Wisconsin Municipal Clerk Contact Information.

Please note: 2011 Act 227 prohibits a voter who has voted and returned an absentee ballot from voting at the polling place on election day.

* There are exceptions for military and overseas voters.  Please refer to the Military Voting or Overseas Voting pages for rules.