Wisconsinites Urged to Vote in Tomorrow’s Primary Superintendent of Public Instruction Leads State Ballot


MADISON, WI – Wisconsin’s single statewide primary election tomorrow pits five candidates for the top education leader, State Superintendent of Public Instruction.

Other primary elections will take place in municipalities across the state for offices such as city alder. There are also nine circuit court judge races in nine different counties which will be narrowed down on Tuesday.

“Unlike 2008, when there was a presidential preference primary in February, Tuesday’s primary election focuses only on state and local races,” said Kevin Kennedy, G.A.B. Director and General Counsel. “Nevertheless, there are very important races on the ballot. We encourage all Wisconsin voters to participate.”

The State Superintendent of Public Instruction – a non-partisan constitutional officer elected every four years – leads Wisconsin’s Department of Public Instruction (DPI), which oversees public schools and libraries in the state. The DPI was established in 1848, the year Wisconsin became a state.

Registered candidates for the State Superintendent of Public Instruction race are: 

  • Tony Evers, Madison
  • Rose Fernandez, Mukwonago
  • Lowell Holtz, Beloit
  • Van Mobley, Thiensville
  • Todd Price, Kenosha

“While non-partisan primaries may generate lower voter interest, we expect at least a ten percent turnout tomorrow,” said Nat Robinson, Elections Division Administrator. “Recent similar primary elections have turned out voters at rate of between six and twelve percent.”

A 10 percent turnout would be approximately 430,000 voters. New state residents or voters who have recently moved should remember that they may register on Election Day at their polling place, Robinson added.

Wisconsin has uniform polling place hours: 7:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Voters who are unsure of their polling place location or their registration can use the State’s Voter Public Access website – at https://vpa.wi.gov – to check information online, or contact their municipal clerk.