Pursuant to the Help America Vote Act (HAVA) and Wis. Stat. § 7.08(6), the Government Accountability Board is ordering an audit of a random sample of each voting system that is currently in use in Wisconsin.
- This audit is designed to assess how the electronic voting equipment performed on Election Day by reviewing the actual ballots cast by voters.
- Each county and municipality selected for the audit has been notified directly of their selection.
- These audits are to be conducted publicly. Members of the public may not interfere with the conduct of the audit, but may observe.
- The clerk in each reporting unit will be required to tally by hand the ballots of the reporting unit and compare those results to the results generated by the voting equipment. If there are discrepancies, those are reported to the Government Accountability Board for further investigation and follow-up with the voting equipment manufacturer.
- Each municipality selected is eligible for up to $300 per reporting unit in reimbursed expenses for actual costs incurred.
Please see the attached documents for details.