I’m a military voter

Active military voters are exempt from the photo ID requirement if they are voting by absentee ballot.

Military voters should visit https://myvote.wi.gov/en-us/MilitaryOverseasVoters

You are a “Military Voter” if you are:

  • A member of the U.S. Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps or Coast Guard, the Commissioned Corps of the Federal Public Health Service or the Commissioned Corps of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
  • A member of the merchant marine of the United States
  • A civilian employee of the United States and civilians officially attached to the uniformed services who are serving outside the United States
  • A Peace Corps volunteer
  • A spouse or dependent of someone listed above, if you live with or accompany them

* Note: Military electors who are on active duty away from their primary residence (“active-away”) are subject to a special procedure which allows them to request an absentee ballot until 5 p.m. on Election Day for elections with national office.

Requesting an Absentee Ballot

  • Unlike a regular voter, a military voter can request and receive an absentee ballot online at My Vote WI: myvote.wi.gov
  • You can also complete a Federal Post Card Application (FPCA) and mail, fax or email it to your municipal clerk
  • Or, you can notify your municipal clerk in writing (by mail, email, or fax) that you are a military voter and are requesting an absentee ballot
  • Clerks must receive a military elector’s absentee ballot request no later than 5 p.m. on the Friday before an election
  • For elections containing a national office on the ballot, military electors who are on active duty away from their residence may request an absentee ballot until 5 p.m. on Election Day
  • Military electors are exempt from registration. However, you will need to provide information similar to someone registering to ensure you get the correct ballot

Receiving Your Absentee Ballot

  • Military electors can choose to receive their absentee ballot by mail, email, or fax. You may not return your voted ballot electronically.
  • Starting on September 20, 2012, military electors can access their absentee ballots online at My Vote WI: myvote.wi.gov
  • If a mailed absentee ballot does not arrive in time, you may use the Federal Write-in Absentee Ballot (FWAB), which is available online, at U.S. embassies, and from Military Voting Assistance Officers

Voting and Returning Your Absentee Ballot

  • You must mark your ballot in the presence of a witness (a military voter's witness need not be a U.S. Citizen)
  • After you vote your ballot, place it in the envelope, and complete the absentee ballot certification
  • Make sure you sign and date the certificate, provide your date of birth, have a person sign as a witness, and provide the witness' address
  • Return your absentee ballot to your municipal clerk by mail
  • The absentee ballot must be received no later than 8 p.m. on Election Day.  The U.S. Postal Service recommends absentee ballots be mailed one week before Election Day to arrive on time

    Military voters do not need to provide a photo ID when voting by absentee ballot.  However, if you vote in-person at the polls you will need to show an acceptable photo ID.  

Back to Voter Information Center