What do I do if a problem happened while I was trying to vote and I feel I was treated unfairly or discriminated against?

You have the right to file a complaint with the Wisconsin Government Accountability Board.  However, most people are able to resolve their complaints informally.  We suggest you may want to follow the steps below as a starting point to resolve your concern.

Call or write your municipal (i.e., city, village or town) clerk’s office to let them know about the problem. The clerk’s office may be able to resolve your concern right away. Find your municipal clerk under Directory of Wisconsin Clerks on this web site.

Contact other employees who work for your city, town or village to see if they can help you.

If you still have problems, you can call the Wisconsin Government Accountability Board at (608)266-8005 or write to us at:

Wisconsin Government Accountability Board
P.O. Box 7984
212 East Washington Avenue
Madison, WI 53707-7984

If your complaint is still not resolved, you can file a formal, verified  complaint with the Wisconsin Government Accountability Board.  The Wisconsin Government Accountability Board web site contains a complete guide for filing a formal complaint.

A verified (or sworn) complaint is a written challenge, sworn to before a person authorized to administer oaths.  The complaint must set forth facts within the knowledge of the complainant (the individual filing the complaint) to show probable cause to believe that a violation of law or abuse of discretion has occurred or will occur.  The complaint may be accompanied by relevant supporting documents.

If the Wisconsin Government Accountability Board is unable to resolve the formal complaint to your satisfaction, you may have the option of filing a complaint under certain laws such as the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), if they apply to your situation.

Organizations that advocate for persons with disabilities such as Disability Rights Wisconsin (DRW) may be able to assist you in resolving your complaint if it is related to a disability.  To reach DRW’s Voting Rights Line, call 800/928-8778 (voice) or 888/758-6049 (TTY).