Temporary Overseas Voters

Wisconsin voters who are temporarily overseas have new options for absentee voting under terms of an agreement with the U.S. Department of Justice (US-DOJ).

Wisconsin’s temporary overseas voters may now receive their absentee ballots electronically – by email or fax – making it easier to vote when they are outside the country. They may now also use the Federal Write-In Absentee Ballot (FWAB).

For details, see the information below, as well as the attached Consent Decreee.

Who is an “Temporary Overseas Voter”?

  • a U.S. citizen who is not disqualified from voting under Wis. Stat. s. 6.03, who qualifies as a resident of Wisconsin, and has attained or will attain the age of 18 by the date of an election at which the citizen proposes to vote. Temporary Overseas Voters are Wisconsin residents who are temporarily living outside the United States and who intend to return to Wisconsin.

How do Temporary Overseas Voters Register?

Temporary Overseas Voters must be registered to vote, and are required to provide proof of residence when registering. Please note that the Federal Post Card Application (FPCA) serves as both a voter registration form and absentee ballot request.

How do they request absentee ballots?

Temporary Overseas Voters may request a ballot by mail, fax or email. Overseas voters have until 5 p.m. on the 5th day before the election to make a request.  An absentee ballot request may be made online at https://myvote.wi.gov or by fax or email to the municipal clerk.

How do Temporary Overseas Voters get their ballots?

The ballot is mailed, faxed or emailed per the voter’s request. If the voter does not specify the means of transmission, the clerk may send the ballot via whatever means are practical to expedite receipt of the ballot by the voter.  

What if the absentee ballot doesn't arrive in time?

Temporary Overseas Voters who do not receive their ballots in time may use the Federal Write-in Absentee Ballot (FWAB), which is available online and at U.S. embassies. Please consult the directory of U.S. Embassy web sites.

How do they return their ballots?

All voted absentee ballots must be received by 8 p.m. on Election Day. All voted absentee ballots must be returned by mail to the clerk's office and cannot be returned electronically.