Skip to main content

Reminders: Notifications of Noncandidacy/Military and Overseas Write-in Ballots

Posted in
Medium Priority
June 11, 2010
Wisconsin County Clerks
Wisconsin Municipal Clerks
City of Milwaukee Election Commission
Milwaukee County Election Commission
Diane Lowe, Lead Elections Specialist
Notif of Noncan_Write in Ballots.doc157.5 KB

Notification of Noncandidacy (GAB-163 – County Clerks)

In order to avoid an extension of the filing deadline, incumbent county officers who do not intend to run this fall for the office they currently hold must file a Notification of Noncandidacy (GAB-163) no later than 5:00 p.m. on the 2nd Friday before the nomination paper filing deadline.  This year, that date is Friday, July 2, 2010.  (If your office is closed in observance of the 4th of July holiday, the deadline is the next business day.)  If an incumbent fails to timely file a GAB-163, and does not file nomination papers by the filing deadline of 5:00 p.m. on July 13, 2010, the filing deadline is extended 72 hours for that office only.  Persons interested in running for the office have an additional 72 hours to file sufficient nomination paper signatures and other ballot access documents to qualify for the ballot.  The extension is not granted to the incumbent.

Military and Overseas Write-in Ballots – (Municipal Clerks)

June 16, 2010 is the first day to mail write-in ballots to military and overseas electors who have an absentee ballot request on file with the municipal clerk.  Write-in ballots are sent in response to absentee ballot requests from military and overseas electors until official ballots are printed.  When official ballots are ready, official ballots are sent in response to new requests.  Official ballots are also sent to those electors who were previously sent write in ballots.  Remember--Military electors are eligible to vote for all offices at all elections.  Overseas electors are eligible to vote for federal offices only.  For fall 2010 the federal offices up for election are U.S. Senator and Representative in Congress.  Sample write-in ballots for the primary (GAB-242, GAB 243) and general election (GAB-244, GAB-245), as well as the reverse side of the write-in ballots (GAB-240) can be found here: 

Please contact me with any questions.

Thank you.